-  [WT]  [PS]  [Home] [Manage]

  1.   (new thread)
  2. [ No File]
  3. (for post and file deletion)
/phi/ - Philosophy
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 1000 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 818 unique user posts. View catalog

  • Blotter updated: 2018-08-24 Show/Hide Show All

We are in the process of fixing long-standing bugs with the thread reader. This will probably cause more bugs for a short period of time. Buckle up.

There's a new /777/ up, it's /Moldy Memes/ Check it out. Suggest new /777/s here.

Movies & TV 24/7 via Channel7: Web Player, .m3u file. Music via Radio7: Web Player, .m3u file.

WebM is now available sitewide! Please check this thread for more info.

Anonymous ## Mod ## 11/10/26(Wed)10:01 No. 3905 ID: 4c1a8e [Reply] Stickied
3905

File 13196161034.jpg - (71.49KB , 256x256 , slow.jpg )

For growing and shit or whatever I present to you:

THE BIG STICKIED THREAD OF PHILOSOPHY RESOURCES



Put in whatever resources that fit in here, whether it's from wikipedia, youtube, some university, or where ever. Just remember to keep it within the board's guidelines and rules.
Use it or lose it, faggots.


36 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Anonymous 19/05/17(Fri)12:48 No. 13979 ID: 25d34d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoynRZyd5l0




Anonymous ## Mod ## 12/02/02(Thu)05:26 No. 5920 ID: 4fb7fa [Reply] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts] Stickied
5920

File 132815678430.jpg - (161.57KB , 500x452 , 6904084_Untitled-2.jpg )

This thread is for discussion of the validity of religion(s) and arguments for and against the existence of god/gods.

Any other new posts about this subject will be deleted, or locked and referred to this one.

New threads about religious concepts that play inside their own ruleset are allowed, and we kindly ask that you refrain from turning those well meaning threads into arguments about religion as a whole.


341 posts and 21 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Anonymous 19/05/06(Mon)03:12 No. 13974 ID: a19f36

>>13664
Yeah, your conclusion is pretty stupid, but you're probably right when you say we will never discover the ultimate cause of the universe as we cannot observe or test phenomenon outside of it. That said, there are plenty of nihilists/existentialists who get on just fine and are contributing members of society. Life may be meaningless, but people will still want to be comfortable.




READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOU PILE OF FAGGOTS Anonymous ## Mod ## 11/09/09(Fri)04:51 No. 2371 ID: 175f07 [Reply] Locked Stickied
2371

File 131553668277.jpg - (24.94KB , 400x615 , formalblacktie2.jpg )

We interrupt your scheduled bickering for this important announcement: Understanding /phi/

  • What this board is:
    • A place to discuss epistemology, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and logic, in a general sense, or in an applied sense (in sex, science, vidya, your mother).
    • A place where not only is being a pretentious, hubristic dickhead is allowed, but is considered the norm.
  • What this board is not:
    • It is not /b/, /x/, or /rnb/.
    • A place to spew incoherent nonsense and verbal diarrhea.
    • A place to make claims with no justifications (and "because I say so" or "because you're gay" isn't a justification).
    • A place where the global rules do not apply.
An inability to follow these conventions will result in a warning!
Repeat offenders will be banned!


>>
Anonymous ## Mod ## 11/12/04(Sun)05:06 No. 4980 ID: 4c1a8e

Dear faggots,
I shouldn't have to remind you, but if someone is posting something against the rules, please report it.

If you don't know how to report a post, please see our super-sugoi FAQ section on the front page.

Thank you for your co-operation.
-7chan




Atheism is evil Anonymous 19/02/18(Mon)09:42 No. 13885 ID: 1556f2 [Reply]
13885

File 155047936222.jpg - (403.53KB , 1035x732 , 1549204089557.jpg )

>Moral relativism (good or bad cannot be defined as the atheist doesn't acknowledge any authority)
>Meaninglessness (existence is hollow and devoid of values)
>Cult of Self (the own ego is the only thing that matters)
>Scientism (an obsession with science that becomes the only prevailing truth)

If you're a fedora you're pretty much advocating for psychopathy.


23 posts and 10 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Anonymous 19/05/15(Wed)20:54 No. 13978 ID: 72adca
13978

File 155794646960.gif - (568.27KB , 379x265 , 1554830579121-1.gif )

I agree with you, OP. The average fedora has a life that revolves around basic desires like food, entertainment and cynical self-preservation. You could ask them why they do anything at all and the justification would be: 'because'. If there is no fundamental value to anything it becomes naught.

There is no reason to do something if the only thing that's important is yourself.


>>
Anonymous 19/05/17(Fri)16:19 No. 13981 ID: 0ca99c

>>13978
The sad reality about fedoras is that they reduce everything down to biological phenomena. Morality is useless to them. They can steal someones belongings and rationalize it by telling themselves that laws are also devoid of truth and merely a result of biology.


>>
Anonymous 19/05/17(Fri)18:31 No. 13982 ID: ae6dae

>>13981
I wonder what kind of gratification one gets by making up a ridiculous hypothetical character, calling it a "they" and shitting all over it. It's literally inventing something that doesn't exist, multiplying it by several thousand to try and make it seem legitimate and telling thousands of non-existent people how much they suck. Fascinating. Is this some next level psychological projection or is there a better name for this condition?




Is the search for "truth" as a natural animal need? Anonymous 19/05/17(Fri)15:15 No. 13980 ID: 355757 [Reply]
13980

File 155809890582.jpg - (128.41KB , 1000x600 , antonio_rodriguez_saint_augustine_google_art_proje.jpg )

I was thinking about the truth in thought of Plato, Socrates and St. Augustine.
Isn't their urge to find the "truth" just some form of the common biological/animalistic need to have the most acurate model of reality?




Questions Anonymous 19/02/23(Sat)04:57 No. 13901 ID: 243bfa [Reply]
13901

File 155089427999.jpg - (68.76KB , 600x450 , nietzsche1.jpg )

Hi,

I admit that although I have had an interest in philosophy for the past few months, I am not adequately read, even for the particular issues that have interested me, so I apologize if I have issues with clarity.

I've been taken hold by the ideas of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche, but particularly Nietzsche.

I've done my best to deal with the striking personal effect that Schopenhauer's postulation that life is meaningless suffering and boredom. I find it too grim and I've found myself naturally gravitating away from it, likely for my own sanity. Instead, Nietzsche has been of more interest to me due to his life-affirming philosophy. However, as much as I'd like to agree with his idea that personal meaning can be found, it just doesn't stick.

Aren't we all just working and eating to keep ourselves alive? For what? Is there anything that can be found in the pursuit of a meaningful existence that will truly fulfill us and help us escape the void? However we decide to find that meaning, whether it be virtue, love, carnal sensations, refined aesthetic pleasure, or whatever else I can't think of, is it truly enough?

While this pertains to the previous paragraph, I wanted to better emphasize this idea: if you live aesthetically, either through art or as an artist, is there anything new? I feel like there aren't any 'boundaries' to be broken in this limited world, which leads me to another question: can an individual be TRULY unique, is there a way they can define themselves that distinguishes themselves from everyone else?

Someone please enlighten me. Open to all responses


3 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Anonymous 19/03/25(Mon)06:27 No. 13943 ID: 7e6d46

>>13901
the world is will to power and nothing besides,

What exactly does this mean?


>>
Anonymous 19/04/03(Wed)14:57 No. 13958 ID: b5aa25

>>13934
>Why do we play games? To win, according to the set of rules that govern the game
King Terry would like a word with you.
https://youtu.be/McHCCEyNuyg?t=415


>>
Anonymous 19/05/15(Wed)02:52 No. 13976 ID: 1e831b

Universals about life being this or that are usually nonsense because you pass through many different states while you're alive. Don't let people seduce you into thinking life is all one way or another, because life is always changing and that which changes cannot stay the same.




Anonymous 19/04/06(Sat)05:28 No. 13960 ID: 9a338e [Reply]
13960

File 15545212923.png - (182.31KB , 524x358 , 190405-202935-7f2aea0a-4385-48e9-ae9c-11c97670aae6.png )

What did he mean by this?

> But the first to build a system of philosophy was Plato
> He said this world isn't real
> But there's a world of forms
> Where everything is perfect
> He was fucking wrong

> But they thought he was right
> So his work was taught and saved
> Ironically which led the west back into a cave

This came from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Em6t0G7Fc
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.


>>
Anonymous 19/05/15(Wed)02:51 No. 13975 ID: 1e831b

Platonism held society back. Later in the video he ties it to Platonism's influence on Christianity. The whole thing is about how Christianity is a bad thing, which like, who cares.




Why isn't circumcision banned in so many countries? Anonymous 19/04/24(Wed)02:02 No. 13965 ID: 87b921 [Reply]
13965

File 155606417221.jpg - (4.42KB , 225x225 , download (1).jpg )

San Fransisco Failed, Germany Failed, Iceland Failed, there have been countless attempts to ban infant male circumcision that have failed despite having a majority support in the area? Areas where religious minorities are at an all time low, circumcision rates are essentially non-existent. Yet non-medically justified, routine genital mutilation (religious or not) continues to occur despite the gender counter part being forbidden by law.

What message does it send where males are violated at birth, while females have their bodies protected by law? Iceland hospitals refused to conduct infant circumcision and had signed agreements among the hospitals across the country to refuse such services as medically unjustified. As a result a vote to illegalize the practice was initiated which resulted in international uproar.

It's an extremely simple topic that people have an illogical habit of complicating. The right to inflict bodily injury on another persons body without their consent. Religiously motivated or not. I cant religiously mutilate animals. It's considered animal abuse.

The main contention I have, is to put the practice into perspective to see the true tragedy and the reason why it's not complicated to see why it should be illegal. To turn the infant, into a grown adult, and keep the situation identical.

You are 25 years old. Your parents have decided to take you against your will to the doctors, where people over power you, forcefully strap you onto an operating table, strap your legs and arms down so you can't move, and without anesthesia, take a knife to your genitals, cutting the most private part of your body as you scream in pain. This is something you'd expect in a scene from the Saw movie franchise. Not something we would callously turn a blind eye happening to infants.

So what are you thoughts on why so many countries have failed their own children to protect them from genital mutilation.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/moral-landscapes/201307/pro-circumcision-culturally-biased-not-scientific-experts?amp

Circumcision is culturally based and not medically based. Cutting a penis to reduce the remote chance of penile cancer is like cutting a girl's budding breasts to reduce the chance of breast cancer.
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.


>>
Anonymous 19/04/24(Wed)04:48 No. 13969 ID: b5aa25

>Areas where religious minorities are at an all time low, circumcision rates are essentially non-existent

here you spell out, yet seemingly overlook, the fact that circumcision is brought to non-existence, because it generally isn't something non-religious people do, not because there's some kind of law against it. if you're gonna take the law route, then why not outlaw the practice of Islam and Judaism altogether?

with a circumcision ban you'll have doctors at the very least risking their licences, back alley circumcisions done by amateurs with household tools with a very high chance of things going wrong, etc. your thinking is flawed because you assume the law will do anything to stop circumcisions from happening, while in reality it will only make things worse for everyone involved. the law is supposed to accommodate irrational traditions/religions just as much as (and probably more than) rational thought, not create conflict among different societies.


>>
Anonymous 19/04/26(Fri)06:39 No. 13971 ID: abfa13
13971

File 155625358988.jpg - (229.38KB , 1199x800 , 1200px-2ChocolateChipCookies.jpg )

>>13969
>if you're gonna take the law route, then why not outlaw the practice of Islam and Judaism altogether?

Are you seriously suggesting we should ban these religions? Because that would be thought control, even if it does some good, and there are laws against prohibiting religion in most countries. This was a dumb thing to suggestion, are you perhaps a Russian serf who has yet to learn the foundations of political philosophy?

>with a circumcision ban you'll have doctors at the very least risking their licences,

That's why people need to just stop circumcising their kids.

>your thinking is flawed because you assume the law will do anything to stop circumcisions from happening

Why do we have laws when you can't stop anyone from doing anything.

>the law is supposed to accommodate irrational traditions/religions just as much as (and probably more than) rational thought, not create conflict among different societies.

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.


>>
Anonymous 19/04/26(Fri)18:19 No. 13972 ID: b5aa25

>>13971
>Are you seriously suggesting we should ban these religions?
No. I'm merely pointing out that irreligion is far more effective at reducing circumcision rates than circumcision being made illegal. It's not freedom of religion if you have a law which automatically criminalises a large number of muslims and jews for practicing their religious traditions.

The rest of your post is autistic screeching.




Death Anonymous 18/12/26(Wed)00:48 No. 13833 ID: fa01f9 [Reply]
13833

File 154578171193.jpg - (51.56KB , 760x720 , 1288402649130.jpg )

Why do we generally feel sorrow and sadness when someone dies?

>he/she had so much to live for
>whole life ahead of her/him
ect ect

When dead, you won't think or feel anything. You don't exist anymore.

So, in reality we're feeling bad for ourselfs, no?


>>
Anonymous 18/12/27(Thu)14:12 No. 13834 ID: d4b8d9

>>13833
Um, duh? We mourn our loss.

Sounds like you mean to ask more specifically why we feel extra bad when somone commits suicide or dies young; which is because we feel they didn't get their allotted time (or rather, share a subjectively sufficient amount of their time and ours because humans are that petty and selfish)--as if there were any such thing as time and as if anyone has any entitlement to exist.


>>
Anonymous 19/01/01(Tue)16:45 No. 13845 ID: 822d20

>>13834
Yeah, funeral rites and traditions give the people who knew the person who died a little closure and to comfort one another for our shared loss.

Ultimately when a parent grieves for a child there really is no consoling them because it's the opposite of what's supposed to happen. The young are supposed to grieve for the old, not the other way around.


>>
Anonymous 19/03/26(Tue)22:53 No. 13948 ID: 0f2e75

>>13833
>Why do we feel sorrow and sadness when someone dies?
Depends on culture, how you were raised, what people around you do, etc.

>So in reality we are feeling bad for ourselves, no?
Yeah, pretty much. Living things are a bit selfish like that.




Not a Szaiese Edge-lord Anonymous 19/02/24(Sun)06:35 No. 13903 ID: 4e68c0 [Reply]
13903

File 155098654268.jpg - (19.23KB , 217x217 , electronegativity-square-s.jpg )

Is there any religion that offers none exsistence whatsoever after death?
Christianity offers Heaven
Judaism offers Zion
Satanism offers longevity or being a demon
Euro paganism offers Valhalla
There is Nirvana
Egypt offers ???
Buddhism offers something like that and almost every other asian religion does... i don't want to live in a temple.

I know buddhism is full of judaism and i don't want any of that Zion so no. (it depends if im alone)

I didn't figure out an image to go with the theme and i didn't got the death of a cell gif so fck.


>>
Anonymous 19/03/26(Tue)11:38 No. 13947 ID: ccf3d1

Sikhs don't really believe in an afterlife.


>>
Anonymous 19/04/21(Sun)20:43 No. 13964 ID: f881da

>buddhism is full of judaism
You obviously don't know any buddhists.

Taoism is probably what you're after, but then why are you looking for a religion to excuse you from believing in an afterlife?

You could just not believe in an afterlife. You could even make up your own faith and design your own dogma--I did.

On the other hand, without an afterlife, it's not much of a 'religion'; that's really just a 'way of life'.





Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason